Friday, July 2, 2010

48 Days Until Surgery

IT'S NEXT MONTH - HOLY SHIT!!!!

July is here and the closeness of my surgery date is finally setting in. I've started to have dreams and nightmares about all the things that could go right or wrong with it. I really hope this is only a brief phase and it doesn't continue for the next month and a half.

I had an orthodontist appointment this week. It involved some fine tuning and moving of a few brackets on my lower left teeth. I forgot to ask why he was doing this, but I presume it's making them straighter - as that is the job of the braces.

He then scheduled me in for 2 more appointments before my surgery date: July 29 to take molds of my teeth for the surgical wires they must place on; and August 16 (same week as the surgery) to put the surgical wires in. In the next month and half, I also have a dentist appointment (to make sure my teeth are uber clean pre-surgery) and then the oral surgery appointment on August 3 (my pre-op). Lots of appointments to make sure I'm not late for (hoping the transit system is on my side).

Although there has not been major movement in my teeth, I'm posting a recent photo anyways! Week 63 (15 months) vs. before braces:




I forgot to mention that the last ortho appointment I had, my ortho shaved the tops of a few of my front bottom teeth to make them more even! YEY! As you can see in the "before" photo they had little ridges on the top of them - this was because of the open bite and my inability to grind the tops of them against other teeth.

A genius (if I do say so myself) decision I made was to start stocking up on nutritional necessities for post-surgery life. For now I went to Costco and loaded up on frozen fruits (strawberries, mangos and blueberries) and then went to Walmart to stock up on baby food (major sale prices! woop woop!). I have never tasted baby food since I was a baby, so I'm not sure how they will taste. I stayed away from the gross sounding ones (peas, beans, etc.) and kept to the yummy ones (berries, bananas, pear, squash, sweet potato). I will definitely keep you in the loop as to how these taste. I bought about 32 jars for $20...not too shabby!! I'm still on the lookout for broth sales and I'm reading up on nutritious powders I can add to smoothies. I am going to try my best to stay away from sodium filled soups and make everything from scratch!

Until next time!

Alexis :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey!

    Congrats on your upcoming surgery! I'm from Ontario as well (Hamilton area) and will be having upper and lower jaw surgery hopefully by the end of the year. I was just wondering who your oral surgeon is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! SO EXCITING! :D

    Mine is in 2 days. OMGOSH.

    Freaking out.

    -makay

    ReplyDelete