Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 45: Chewing is the best thing EVER!

Week 7 is here! Holy Camoly!!!

Here are pictures from Day 43 (Saturday):


I'm thinking my swelling is down to about 2% now... I don't even know how to tell anymore! I don't look swollen at all, but I can still feel some pressure above my lips and beside my nose area... so I assume that means it's still swollen.

As you can tell by the title of this post, CHEWING IS AMAZING!!!! So... last week I was allowed to start chewing as of Tuesday when I had my post-op appointment with my oral surgeon. I did NOT take advantage of that. This turned out to be a very bad idea because the next morning I went to the orthodontist and my teeth ended up being so sensitive for the next week! Arrrgghh! This was my first appointment post-op and my orthodontist was very excited to see and impressed with my new bite. He took out those horrendous surgical wires and put in a brand new wire! Here is the good news... ARE YOU READY!?!?!

HE PREDICTS THAT I WILL ONLY HAVE 5 MONTHS LEFT OF MY BRACES!!!!

So that is pretty fantastic. I am so fricken psyched you can't even imagine!!!!! That means...by my intricate calculations... that I will have them off in FEBRUARY! WHAT WHAT!!!

On the weekend my teeth started to become less sensitive, so I was able to eat items that required chewing. Here is my list of food items that I have chewed thus far:

- Sushi
- Pizza
- Gourmet sandwich from Sandwich Box (my favorite sandwich place EVER)
- Shrimp Stirfry (I made it!)
- Blueberry pancakes with bacon sprinkles :)
- Salad
- Mini breton crackers with humus
- Chickpea salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and tahini sauce

In order to move my progress along, my Ortho has me wearing elastics on my back teeth 24/7 and elastics on my canines and 2 of the lower teeth directly below during the night. He has me doing this because since the surgery my back teeth don't touch and he's trying to pull them together. I've been pretty good with wearing the elastics all the time... except for the odd time when I eat and then forget to put them back in for a few hours. Hopefully I can keep it up! Getting elastics on the back teeth has been pretty tricky and sometimes takes a few minutes. I'm sure I'll be an expert in a weeks time though.

Numbness is SLOWLY disappearing in my upper left lip and chin... I will randomly have itching/pin prick feelings/itching in those areas... which can only mean that I CAN FEEL SOMETHING!!! Still feels like I have plumping lip gloss on though... an interesting feeling.

I know I said I was going to try to make a video last week, but I did not get around to it. I will try to make one this week!

How is everyone else doing with their recoveries!?

Alexis

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alexis!
    Holy Camoly!!! What great news, and in no time you will be brace free! What does it feel like biting through pizza and chewing with your palate being numb? I try to imagine what that feeling would be like.

    Have a wonderful week!
    Cheers,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting your experience. I'm going to have double jaw surgery on the 26th of this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing,I love those braces and I'm looking forward to try it.Nowadays most people are engaging themselves in some surgery and one of them in the breast reduction surgery. Breast surgery is something that most women dreamed to do right now, knowing that the one they have is not so perfect.

    ReplyDelete