Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 2: Way more swollen

Good evening!

Well today had it's ups and downs. I got a really good nights' sleep. I took an Ativan at around 11 pm and was passed out by 12. Woke up a few times during the night but went right back to sleep. Finally woke up at 10 am and felt pretty energetic! I took all my meds in the morning by myself and didn't have to wake up Claire - go me!

I had a few friends visit, which was very nice! Zohara and Lauren and my mom - helped distract me from the swolleness that has taken over my face.

When my visitors all left, it was finally time to take off the chin bandage that had been holding my chin in place. Ouch! It felt like ripping really sticky tape off! But Claire made sure not to pull, so it went pretty smoothly.

From then I finally got to shower! It felt so good to get all fresh and clean.

So far my medicine routine is antibiotics 3 times a day (10 am, 4 pm and 10 pm), codeine with Tylenol 4 times a day (10 am, 2 pm, 6 pm and 10 pm), medical mouth wash 3 times a day, salt water rinse 2-3 times a day, saline nasal spray 3 times a day (helps freshen up my nostrils so they aren't as congested) and then Ativan before I go to bed. As mentioned before the Ativan really helps because it relaxes my muscles in my jaw and helps me rest.

I've been icing on and off as much as possible, but the swelling has definitely shot up. This is said to be normal from everything that I've read so far. Swelling is supposed to be the worse on Day 3 (tmrw) and day 4 and then it subsides from there. I still cant feel much below my eyes. My friends say I look like a chipmunk/bobble head/fish face! ha! I can deal with those nicknames for a while. Apparently I'm not that scary looking (yet).

Day 2 photos are here!:
(Profile - right side)

(Profile - left side)


As you can see from the front shot, there is a bit of bruising on the left side of my face. My left side does seem to be more swollen than the right. Unsure why, it could be because the jaw was shifted to the left to make my mid line meet up. My nose feels HUGE. Along with straightening in the side profile view, it's also been widened a tiny bit. This is due to moving the jaw upwards and it will make my breathing better in the long run.
Eating - My appetite has been OK. I've been drinking as much water as possible. I've also had chicken broth, Gatorade, prune juice and Gingerale. I'm liking the chicken broth the best because of the saltiness. My stomach has been growling a bit, but it take too much energy in my jaw to drink more often then I have been. My child's sippy cup has come in VERY VERY helpful! I'm drinking everything out of it and not spilling - wahoo!
Ok, enough for now... I'll post more updates tomorrow.

Questions?!
Alexis

7 comments:

  1. Day 3 is the worst. Hold in there girl.

    Love, Makay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chantik did not recognize you in the post op pics. Speedy recovery, from Chantik, Jelita and Kevin.
    Take it easy. Listen to your doctor(s)...
    Chin up... See you in the office soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexis!
    You are still looking good! Hang in there tomorrow will be a cake walk for you! It will be all down hill from there!
    Cheers,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alexis...glad to see the surgery went well. You look great, especially with all that you have been through in the last few days. Take care & hope to see you soon for a visit at the office. Cheers, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Makay - your right, today probably has been the worst! Been working extra hard on icing and relaxing to try to bring the swelling down

    @Brooks - Thanks B!

    @Chainmail - I hope the girls arent scared of me! hahah. Thanks for your kind words :)

    @Brent - Thanks for the compliment - as much as poeple are saying I "look" good, it sure doesnt feel like it just yet!

    @Julie - thanks for checking my blog! I hope the office is good! I will probably have enough energy next week to come by. I'll bring some smoothies with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just curious how you got the tape residue off your chin?? Took my tape off today and it just wont come off???

    ReplyDelete