Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pre-Surgical Photos of Midline and Bite

3 days till surgery!

Here are some photo updates:

The photo below is of my relaxed bite - without me forcing my lips closed (which I always have to do). As you can see by my lovely artistry, I have a very un-aligned bite. I'm not sure I've shared this with you guys before - I didn't even realise it as much until I had my consult with Dr. R (my oral surgeon.) My upper jaw is shifted off centre by about 1-2 mm (I forget the exact amount) and my bottom by about .5 mm. They can't do much about the bottom, but it may fall into place once my upper jaw is centred. On a perfect bite, the centre of your front teeth match up to your lip midline (see the long line that says "Midline").


The second photo was taken tonight, so about 1 year and 4 months with braces. The photo is showing off my brand new surgical wires! See those prong looking dealies? Those are also called torture devices. I have to admit - they are very uncomfortable and they are digging into my inner lips ALOT. Thank goodness I won't feel them past Friday...when I won't feel ANYTHING.

For those of you who don't know what surgical wires are, I will tell you! They are used during surgery to wire your mouth shut and lock it in place. Once the surgery is done, they replace the metal wiring with elastics. Then I wear elastics around the prongs for up to 6 weeks post-op to keep my bite in place.


Toodles!

5 comments:

  1. AHHHHHH I AM SO EXCITED for you! :)

    :)

    -makay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been AWOL from the jaw surgery community (that's what happens when you can chew normally!), but I wanted to wish you luck with your surgery! Remember to think positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexis!

    I just had double jaw surgery 9 days ago on 10 August. You're having your surgery on 20 August?

    I used to have midline problem too. Not to mention my protruding lower jaw and a list of other problems caused by my deformed jaws.

    Keep in touch with me via my blog at VinceJawSurgery.com and we'll support one another through our recovery process.

    Hang in there! You'll be OK soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alexis!
    I just happened upon your blog after getting my braces on last week. I have been in talks to getting upper and lower jaw surgery since I was 16, am 20 now and have finally gotten the ball rolling. It has been fun to read through your progress so far, as I absolutely need to have my surgery 1 year after I got braces on (due to school) and that was the time frame your teeth were ready! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alexis!
    I will be sending prays your way all day tomorrow!
    Brent

    ReplyDelete