Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 11: One-Fanged Vampire

Day 11 is here!

Photos (I made them smaller to try something new):

Something else new - my profile smiling!


Everyday I am loving my new face more and more! It looks like the swelling has gone down a lot, but I'd say I am still 30% swollen... so every day my face is still changing. I really hope it doesn't take the full 2 months for all the swelling to go down. I really hated my profile before (as most of you have read in my prior posts) and now I'm so happy with it! The one thing I'm concerned about is that my lips are still apart when I'm at rest, but I'm hoping that this is just because of the swelling. I think it is, because my top left lip is still numb and all the stitches are still in... so I assume it my lips will still change (become less swollen) as the time goes.
I don't really know if it can really be seen from the photos, but all of my good friends and my boyfriend say that my whole face has changed (except for my eyes). I guess because I'm seeing myself everyday I can't tell the changes that much. But it's exciting that it's not just in my head and that other people are noticing it. I had an open bite, not a large over bite or under bite, so the transformation doesn't seem as drastic and some other people's post-surgery photos I've seen.
So as I mentioned yesterday, my left elastic seemed like it was going to burst - and it did. So now I look like I only have one fang (as per my title for the day). I called my Dr.'s office this morning and they said I can wait until Friday (my 2nd post-op) to have it replaced.
Earlier today I did another session of the cold-laser therapy on my face/mouth. I seem to be healing really well/fast so I'm unsure if it's because of my natural healing powers or because of this lasering! The lasering session basically consists of me holding these square pads to my face for 7-9 minutes and they shoot lasers into my skin. Sounds fun eh? I don't actually feel anything! I'm doing another session tomorrow as well.
My mouth muscles are slowly coming back. I can talk pretty well now, but it's still an effort with some words (since the numbness is still prevalent). I'm still making the funny faces and stretching out my mouth as much as possible to get it moving!
I went out to dinner for the first time since the operation today! My friend Mariya and I went to a restaurant that literally has 100+ options to choose from (The Pickle Barrel for any of you Torontonians)... so we thought they would for sure have something for me to eat! I had their soup of the day (Sweet Potato soup that tasted somewhat citrusy...it was interesting) and a side of hummus! Yum! haha. It took me twice as long to eat as Mariya took to eat her food... so I'm warning any of my friends who want to dine with me in the near future that it will be a long adventure.
Bruising is almost all gone!
Otherwise, no big changes really for today. Tomorrow I have a hair appointment! I love the feeling of freshly cut hair :) I'll take a photo with new do and post it tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a great Wednesday!
Alexis


8 comments:

  1. Looks nice! May I ask how long the chin was set forward? I had a genioplasty yesterday and it were 6mm. thx and good healing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My chin was set forward 5mm, and this was on top of how far it moved forward once my upper jaw moved upwards as well, so a bit more than 5mm all together. I hope your healing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! thanks, today I am 2nd day post op genioplasty and the swelling is huge... I feel like my chin could explode. You look gorgeous. Are you happy? ciao alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alex!

    My chin was taped back for the first 48 hours, did you have the same thing? My chin still feels swollen and it's pretty much still numb - but I am super happy! 5 mm is the most my doc could move my chin forward without giving me a "witches" chin in his words - ha! I'm sure you will be very happy when your's is healed. Do you have a blog?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alexis, my chin also is taped back. my doc advised to let the tape until it removes alone to give stablility and a little bit protection to the chin. because I am male the tape will be loose after a few days because of the beard that wants tto grow...

    a witches chin...ok I understand. when you put an tangent trough your forehead base of you nose and your outer chin it gives a pretty horizontal line!

    I dont have a blog because of privacy reasons - I did not tell anyone that I am going trough this! ciao a.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have really enjoyed your blog! I am getting my surgery on the 20th and your story has made me so excited! Do you know how long you will have to keep your braces on after the surgery? I am really curious what the average amnt of time is that one has to keep braces on after surgery. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anonymous!

    Thank you for being a fan :) The 20th! So soon, I hope your not nervous. You have nothing to worry about - it's all over before you realise it!

    I've had my braces on since april 2009, and they predict a minimum of 6 months post-op before I get them off... it all depends on how fast my orthodontist can perfect my teeth now that my bite has been corrected! So I'm hoping I get them off around March 2011!

    Have a great night,

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  8. These lasers were created by dentists, receiving extensive clinical trials before receiving Federal Drug Administration approval. This technology is set to reinvent periodontal surgery as we know it.

    ReplyDelete