Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 5: Cruisin' for a Bruisin

Day 5!

Apparently day 5 is the end of the first phase! Wahoo!! Tomorrow starts a brand new milestone (phase 2 of course).

Today was not that different from Day 4, I'll start off with photos:


The swelling has gone down a little bit, but not much. Still progress! The major difference is the bruising that is starting to appear. I've missed out on the dark bruising and just cruised into the greenish/yellowish bruising. If you look closely you can see that it's on both sides of my lower cheeks and down my neck.


Today was pretty fun! I had lots of visitors again. It's so nice to feel all the love and kindness from my friends/family. My living room is like a flower shop! I saw one of my old roomies, Ashley. Claire, Ashley and I went out for gelato (soon to be a daily occurrence) and I got the most delicious coconut and espresso (ohhhh how I miss the smell & taste of coffee). Then we picked up some milk and yogurt for when I can start drinking SMOOTHIES tomorrow! Also had my step-mother visit me and my friend Holly! Having visitors really help to make the days go by fast and to feel positive energy to keep my spirits high. Holly practiced a little Reiki healing on my face. She said it takes a few days to work properly, so if all my bruising goes away in two days it's all because of her!!!


My private doctor/best friend (Claire) had to go home today. She lives all the way in Rochester, so it was a long drive home. I'm so happy that she was able to stay with me. She claimed I was the best recovery patient ever and that the only requirement I really had was for her to chop up Tylenol during the first two days. Then it was just like being old roomies again! Claire, if you're reading this, THANK YOU SOSOOSOSOSOSO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I've gotten a little bit more feeling back today. I can now feel 80% of my bottom lip (all except a small part in the middle). My top lip is still 1/2 numb (numb on the left side). I have more feeling in my nose and the area around it. I can feel my jaw bone up until the chin area (which will probably take the most time to get feeling back in).


I haven't iced at all today, I'm done with that for now. I've been applying warm compresses to the swollen areas to get the blood moving around. I've also been massaging the skin in circles whenever I remember to. This hopefully helps with making the bruising go away faster.


I can open my mouth about one fingers breadth. I'm unsure if this is because of the elastics that are on my teeth or just because of the healing itself. When I the doctor changes the elastics on Friday (my 1st post-op appointment) we'll see if I can move it any more.


Weight - I weighed myself this morning and I've lost about 4 lbs thus far. I think once I start drinking the smoothies I'll gain some of it back... or at least not lose any more weight.
Until tomorrow!
Sweet dreams everyone :)
Alexis

3 comments:

  1. You're looking good :) It's nice to hear that you're not alone in this long journey...flowers always make me feel better so I'm sure you're loving every last one of them. Keep up the positive attitude!

    Sending good vibes your way!

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexis!
    Sounds like things are going well for you! I can see the swelling is down quite a bit! Why do you have to wait until tomorrow to drink smoothies? What have you been eating right now?
    Have a wonderful evening!
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Claudia - Thanks for the note! Yes the flowers are for sure helping with the positive energy - although I'm not much of a plant person so I can't say how long they'll stay alive!

    @Brent - The doc wanted me on a clear liquid diet for the first 5 days to ensure nothing got stuck in the stitches or brackets. This helps to ensure I dont get infections and it's easier to keep my mouth clean. I didnt mind it much since my appetite was so little. It was easy just to heat up some broth and drink some gatorade. Now it's more work to make the smoothies. Ha! If you check out my new post from Day 6, you'll see what I got to eat today.

    Have a great night both of you!

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete