Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 14: 2 Weeks Post-Op!!!!

TWO WEEKS POST OP!!! Can you believe it? I certainly can't... it feels like yesterday I was having panic attacks about the surgery and now I'm sporting a brand new smile :)

So today I had my 2nd post-op appointment with my oral surgeon, Dr. R. It went amazingly! He said that I am recovering surprisingly fast and to continue doing whatever I'm doing because it's working wonders! It's great to hear confirmation from him that my mouth is looking as good as I thought it was. YEY ME! haha.

Before I go any further, I wanted to show you my new bite without the elastics!!

How amazing is that!? 2 weeks ago my front teeth couldn't touch, and now they bite together so well! To anyone who is thinking about getting the surgery - DO IT!!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!

Photos from Day 14:


To catch up on swelling and bruising... swelling feels down slightly and so is bruising. I can still see slight patches of yellowish bruising on my lower cheeks, but nothing really noticeable.
So now the update from Dr.R! He said that I don't have to wear elastics 24/7 any longer (which is convenient since my second elastic broke immediately before my appointment while I was having lunch with my Dad). This means that I can eat somewhat normally and can get a bigger spoon in my mouth! I will still be eating with the children's rubber spoons though because I don't want to hit my front teeth by accident with a metal one (seeing as I still cant feel my upper jaw/teeth). Now I only have to wear the elastics during the night time. They gave me elastics called "Chucks" (I'm sure my bf will like that because he has shoes named that) and a big tweezer looking contraption to help put them on (which I have to return once I'm done with the elastics). I have to put one on each side of my mouth in square designs. In my next post I'll show you a drawing they made me and what the elastics/tweezer thing look like. Dr. R put them on me at the office to show me how to do it and they were pretty tight (which is probably why I only have to wear them at night). This is to ensure my bite stays in the correct position and to help guide it if its not. Dr. R also said now that I can brush my teeth (sans elastics) I don't have to use the medical rinse any longer (THANK GOODNESS!). The taste of the rinse was kind of overpowering and it seemed to stain my teeth. I'm still going to rinse with the salt water mix several times a day because the stitches are still healing up - may as well!
Dr. R said there is no reason to see him any time soon and that my next appointment can be in 3-4 weeks. So we booked an appointment for the end of September! The day after my 3rd post-op with Dr. R is an appointment with my Orthodontist to take off the surgical wires. It will be a great week!
On my way home from the post-op I decided to treat myself and buy a take home 500 ml container of gelato from my favorite place. They let me get 4 flavours and the girl who works there remembered me and it was nice of her to ask how I was doing with the recovery! Flavours I got: coconut, espresso, caramel & cheesecake. OMFG. I need to make it last a long time though, don't need to start being Ms. Piggy just cuz it's in my freezer.

My teeth seem to be getting a little sore everyday. I think it may be because I'm getting more feeling back in my jaws and I tend to bite down a little more on them. My teeth have not been used in 2 weeks, so now that they are they seem to be a little whiny. It may get worse because of the lack of usage... but I'll keep you up to date! The Tylenol helps though.
I'm still sleeping as up right as feels comfortable. I intend to do this until all of the swelling is gone (hopefully doesn't take more than the 2 months). I get a little dizzy sometimes when I get up too fast, so I have to be careful with that.
As you all know, it's Labour day weekend starting tomorrow... which means I will be away from my computer for a few days. My apologies to all of my daily readers, but I hope you're doing something more fun on the long weekend than reading blogs :). I will post again on Monday evening with photos from day 15, 16 & 17!
Have a great weekend everyone!!!
Alexis


No comments:

Post a Comment